Saturday, February 12, 2011

My Life in Ruins


Ok, I got a confession to make.
I am a bookworm. But I watch movies too. Lots of them.
Thus this blog will also be about movies. Just like the book, it’s not always the popular ones. Only movies I love.
Yesterday i finally watched My Life in Ruins. I bought the DVD simply because i feel represented by the title.
It is a story of Georgia (Nia Vardalos), a woman who has lost its kefi (passions for life) and decided to return to her root in Greece to reinvent her self. She then became a tour guide. A very knowledgeable guide with a passion to share the greatness of Greek history details to her tourists. Which was despised by her boss.
Georgia always gets the lowest evaluation score from her tourist group. She was frustrated by the fact that most of the tourists were only care about T-Shirt and souvenirs. She has always been convinced that someday there will be a group of tourist that come to Greek to admire  the ancient sites and ancient ruins. Her boss thinks Georgia is dreaming, and planned to kick her off the company.


One particular tour, with the misfits group of tourists, has led Georgia to  a personal detour. She was forced to change her uptight attitude and redefine her life goal.
I think it was a nice movie. Well, definitely not of those perfect flawless drama. There were some stereotyping (tipsy Australians, man-thirsty Spanish divorcees), which I think kind of annoying to be found in such movies).
But still, to me it has the soothing effect. Err, it could be because I’m still in this wanderlust-walking-away-from-the-world-mode on.
Anyway, I think it is the kind of story that many people can relate to. Loosing direction in life, reinventing our self, the urge to be away from the whole world, a boring life, non existent romance. It’s everyone’s life story, told with the background of beautiful sceneries, with beautiful lines about life and being true to self.
But what I like most is Georgia’s frustration when realizing that no one, no tourist, is really interested in the facts and figures about Greek history. I could feel her disappointment, her isolated feeling, in knowing that what you like and what you believe is the very thing that isolated you from the whole world. That by being you, somehow, is what make you feel unsent.


I feel you Georgia.




-a very selfish, self-centered, self-mirroring review-

No comments:

Post a Comment